Thursday 13 August 2015

The Rakes - Capture/Release

Released 15th August 2005, V2

What I thought then...
Another lean Epworth produced album - in fact, I remember really getting into Epworth’s remixes of some Rakes tracks under his Phones guise. This album made me feel like The Rakes had lived every smoky hangover they sung about - very fitting for my life back then - “I had just woke up, everything was FAHKED!”

What I think now...
“A shower and a scrub / still smell like the smoking bit / of a Wetherspoons pub” - smoking indoors! It feels so long ago it might as well be in the 1900s. And as I worked in various Wetherspoons pubs pre Smoking Ban, this line will always make me laugh/break down in terror.  Another thrilling opening track in Strasbourg, followed by a rush of highlights that hardly leave time to catch your breath. Although perhaps not as consistent as A Certain Trigger, the big songs remain mighty anthems, albeit never over-performed or over-produced. A simple truth.

Standout Track
Toss up between 22 Grand Job and Retreat, both contained lines that turned into catchphrases that still light up conversations. Did we do the same degree?

Live Memories
I remember almost seeing them and missing out on a few occasions. There was a tour they were meant to support, but pulled out. Then came their Reading 2005 performance which due to the singer’s illness was covered by several guest singers - I remember everyone piling back on stage for 22 Grand Job. It was Glastonbury 2007, in the mud, where I finally saw them for real and there was a spectacular pointy dance from Alan Donohoe. Finally, they opened the main stage (such a wrong place & time) in Leeds 2009, which must have been one of their last shows.

What Happened Next?

The only band I’m reviewing that has properly called it a day, and a while back too. Ten New Messages brought some good tunes, but probably made them as successful as they were going to be. Final album Klang was a spiky effort, but they were refreshingly honest by splitting shortly afterwards.

Next Time: False conversations...

Previously: A Certain Trigger | Introduction

No comments: