Wednesday 10 August 2016

I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings

Released 12th November 2001
I bought it: Probably the day it came out

Where I was…
This would have been a few months into my first year of Sixth Form College. I lived so close that during free periods I could easily go home, so chances are I listened to this during one of those spare hours. Sixth Form was a bit of a halfway house. I was finally free of the idiots who made my life hell at school, but still not coming out of my shell much. My old group of friends were slowly drifting apart, but I was getting to know one or two new people. I was probably beginning to come to terms with the fact that I had to get out of Colchester, as terrifying as that felt. But that would eventually be the making of me.

What I thought then…
I’m struggling to remember much about this time, other than being disappointed Dollars & Cents was on there.  

What I think now…
After getting to see them live a few times since I Might Be Wrong was released, these are the versions of National Anthem, Idioteque and Everything In Its Right Place that feel like the real thing - enormous and fierce. The biggest pull was and is True Love Waits, finally released and in what we thought would be its definitive version - more on that later.

Radiohead are still yet to release a recent full live show. I suppose the issue would be which one? Every night their setlists change wildly, with a different era getting the best attention. This is probably why IMBW chops and changes around different performances. There will probably never be a “definitive” live show as they continue to redefine themselves with every performance. Plus these days everyone is filming everything anyway. Want to see their latest tour? Fire up Periscope for some shaky smartphone broadcast. But this is probably turning into a different rant.

Next:
You have not been paying attention...

No comments: