Thursday 13 August 2015

Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock & Roll

Released 20th May 2005, Fierce Panda

What I thought then...
A bloody big racket with life lesson poetry for lyrics. This was a band I remember following through MP3 blogs and borrowed copies of the NME, plus the blessed fortnight our NTL cable box had MTV2.

What I think now...
At a mere 32 minutes, this is the shortest album on the list. It sounds mighty beefy compared to some of the demos and early singles I remember getting off Soulseek. Prophetic though - we not only stopped buying albums from the supermarket, we stopped buying albums in general! And enjoyable charming racket that can’t help but put a big stupid grin on my big stupid face.

Standout Track
“I’ve seen her naked...TWICE!” Got to be Good Weekend.

Live Memories
One in particular, being chased off by venue security after their Lincoln uni gig for reasons I won’t go into. But they seemed to follow me around various festivals after that, and they were never anything but powerful. Their gigs always felt like massive bonding experiences for anyone I brought along.

What Happened Next?
To my shame, I stopped paying attention. They’ve released four albums and a Best Of now, and I could only tell you a couple of singles of the second record. Just seeing their name makes me smile, I’m glad they’re still at it.

Next Time: Because a guy I used to know…

Previously: You Could Have It So Much Better | Employment | The Futureheads | Capture/Release | A Certain Trigger | Introduction

No comments: