Thursday 13 August 2015

The Cribs - The New Fellas

Released 20th June 2005, Witchita

What I thought then...
Another sophomore effort, but my first encounter with The Cribs. I remember a friend of mine singing the benefits of them, Yorkshire and the North in general.

What I think now...
I actually re-played this and their first few albums a couple of years back ahead of a York Barbican gig. It’s lost none of its youth and spark - a record full of cutting lyrics and catchy melodies.

Standout Track
Hey, Scenesters! is another song that will never get old, and will always get a dance - even if amongst some of us the lyrics have changed into “hey Stalin, hey hey Stalin…”

Live Memories
Where to start! I feel like they’ve played pretty much every festival I’ve ever attended, right up until this year’s Glasto. But around this time was the aforementioned Norwich gig supporting Maxïmo Park. That and Reading 2006 where my main memory is my companion curled up asleep for the duration of their set, even when it started raining.

What Happened Next?
Follow up Men’s Needs etc etc was a powerful record, and possibly their best to date. Still going strong, they’re the sort of band you imagine never splitting up.

Next Time: Don’t get upset...

Previously: Bang Bang Rock & Roll | You Could Have It So Much Better | Employment | The Futureheads | Capture/Release | A Certain Trigger | Introduction

No comments: